Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Is There A Microsoft Handheld Game System In The Works?

I have reason to believe that Microsoft is cooking up something to compete in the handheld gaming space.  I’m simply speculating here but my speculation is based on a recent survey I was asked to take part in.  In it, I was asked very interesting questions that lead me to believe that MS is looking to build a handheld game system.  The features that are being considered are pretty slick!  In fact, if these features happen to make it to production, it will be a big win for us gamers!

Here’s a list of some of the features that stood out:

GPS / Support for Apps / Downloadable games and content / Streaming Movies and Music / Synch with your Music Library / Internet Browser / Social Media Integration / Skype / email / Video recorder / Camera / Text Messaging

The most exciting feature of all is support for 3D games!  That sounds extremely cool.  It is obviously the next step in the evolution of gaming.  3D movies have been a big hit in the theaters and its just a matter of time before the technology arrives home.

I was asked several questions around form factor.  They wanted to know which form I liked most; DSi, PSP, or iPhone.  The iPhone games are somewhat limited since the phone lacks a directional pad and buttons. The DSi has your traditional gameboy style buttons but also makes good use of the touch screen.  The PSP only offers buttons and can be somewhat uncomfortable to hold for an extended period of time.  I suspect is going to be a combination of iPhone style controls and DSi. 

Since this is all based on speculation, there is no telling when this game system will be available.  I’m hoping that it’s sooner rather than later. 

Microsoft has been building the Xbox Live Market Place (Online Store) for years.  They’ve managed to make a lot of improvements to it since it was first released.  I was beginning to wonder if they were going to expand on it by enabling other devices to access it.  I was hoping that the Zune HD would have a software library on the Live Market Place and that MS would eventually enable the Xbox 360 and Zune HD to interact.  Looks like they are finally going to take it there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment