Monday, June 7, 2010

The Death of Personal Email

Ok so email isn’t dying anytime soon.  However, I’ve noticed a considerable reduction in the amount of email I’m receiving.  I find that most people reach out to me via LinkedIN, Facebook and Twitter.  They leave messages on my wall or write me a direct message to keep the conversation private.  These sites also do a pretty good job of organizing these conversations so it is much easier to manage and maintain than email ever was.  No longer do I have to worry about cleaning out my mailbox because I’m approaching the size limit.  What gets posted on my wall will simply disappear from view.  Out of sight, out of mind.  heh :)

Instant Message clients are pretty much dead to me.  FB has caused me to retire my Yahoo, AOL and Live IM clients.  I find that people rarely use them any more; which I believe is a good thing.  In fact, at one point these clients were a real distraction.  I cloaked myself as soon as I went online to reduce the amount of messages coming through.  There is such thing as making yourself TOO available.  It was very distracting/annoying.

Email will continue to live on in the corporate world for decades to come - similar to how people still use voicemail systems.  However, as social media solutions are introduced into the corporate space, we will witness a major reduction in the amount of corporate email generated.  There's a huge upside to all this; better communication, stronger security and less spam.  Social media sites have enabled us to collaborate and communicate with each other more effectively.  These sites also offer a layer of protection that makes it more difficult to spread viruses through messages.  And because you have to “friend me” in order to send me a direct message, we should also see a reduction in spam.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment